Історія Подкасти

Маккормік, Сайрус - Історія

Маккормік, Сайрус - Історія

Бізнесмен-винахідник
(1809-1884)

Сайрус Холл Маккормік народився 15 лютого 1809 року в окрузі Рокбридж, штат Вірджинія. Хоча він мав невелику формальну освіту, на нього сильно вплинув його батько, який безрезультатно намагався вдосконалити механічну жатку. У 1831 році сину вдалося побудувати такий пристрій.

Однак лише в 1834 році він отримав патент, зіткнувшись із загрозою конкурентів -винахідників. Зрозуміло, що Маккормік ще кілька років тримав свою жатку на ринку, щоб удосконалити механізм; і навіть коли він все -таки представив його на ринок, він сконцентрував виробництво лише на одному заводі в Чикаго.

Коли патент остаточно закінчився в 1848 році, він знову зіткнувся з багатьма суперниками. Тим не менше, йому вдалося покращити, а потім зберегти свої позиції на ринку.

Подорожуючи по всьому світу, він енергійно просував і демонстрував свій продукт. Показ на виставці «Кришталевий палац» у Лондоні (1851 р.) Виявився особливо корисним для збільшення продажів.

На додаток до численних бізнес -інтересів по всій країні, він особливо активно діяв у Демократичній партії в Іллінойсі. Він також був дуже зацікавлений у пресвітеріанській церкві протягом усього свого життя, і зробив багато внесків у це. Маккормік помер у Чикаго 13 травня 1884 року.


ДУЖЕ коротка історія району пустелі Маккормік

Все почалося в 1778 році, коли Роберт Маккормік емігрував з Ірландії та оселився у Рокбридж Ко Вірджинія. Його син Сайрус Холл Маккормік у віці 22 років вивчав записи своїх батьків про невдалих косарок, а в 1831 році він успішно продемонстрував свою жатку невеликій групі фермерів і в 1834 році отримав свій перший патент на жниву. Він продовжував працювати над дизайном, поки в 1847 році Сайрус не переїхав до Чикаго і не відкрив фабрику жнив, яка стала компанією McCormick.

Ця головна фабрика була дуже успішною, але 8 жовтня 1871 року вона згоріла разом із рештою Чикаго. Сайрус взяв на себе провідну роль у відновленні міста, а через рік відкрив конференц -центр McCormick Place, щоб показати світу, що Чикаго вилікувався від пожежі. Він продовжував розробку McCormick Co. до самої смерті в 1884 році.

Сайрус Райс Маккормік, засновник тракту Маккорміка, народився 16 травня 1859 року. У підлітковому віці Сайрус змінив своє друге ім'я на Холл на честь свого батька. У віці 25 років, коли він був у Прінстоні, він одразу після смерті батька став президентом компанії своїх батьків.

За останні 25 років 1800 -х років багато компаній розробляли комбайни та жатки з багатьма позовами. Нарешті, в 1902 р., За пропозицією JP Morgan, п'ять найбільших компаній John Deere, Deering Co., Milwaukee Harvester Co., Champion та McCormick Co. об'єдналися під назвою International Harvester Co. це злиття здійснив блискучий молодий адвокат, який представляв компанію McCormick Co., Сайрус Бентлі. Сайрус Х. Маккормік у 36 років став президентом, а Чарльз Дірінг зайняв посаду голови правління. У 1918 р. Сайрус став головою правління, а його брат Гарольд був президентом.

Роберт Маккормік придумав жнець,

Сайрус Маккормік переробив цю ідею у товарний винахід і розпочав її виробництво

Його син, Сайрус Холл Маккормік, засновник тракту Маккорміка, став промисловцем.

Відкриття та становлення тракту Маккорміка

Історія Тракту Маккорміка розпочалася в 1884 р. Це був рік, коли помер найстарший Сайрус, а його син Сайрус став президентом компанії Маккормік і вирушив у свою першу подорож. Перебуваючи в Прінстоні, Маккормік познайомився з професором на ім'я доктор Вільям Грей, який був завзятим людиною на свіжому повітрі. Він мав постійний табір на острові в Bayfield Wi. і запросив багатьох людей бути його гостями протягом багатьох років, включаючи Маккорміксів, які з ним стали великими друзями.

Доктор Грей часто їздив у походи по всій території США. Він обирав би місцевість, шукаючи на карті місце з двома чи трьома водоймами, близькими разом з потоками, що течуть у протилежних напрямках, та безліччю невеликих озер. Ці території зазвичай забезпечували чудові місця для кемпінгу з великою кількістю дичини.

Одного разу, у 1884 році, доктор aryері запросив Сайра супроводжувати його в одній із подорожей. Перед від’їздом він зустрівся з матір’ю Сайруса і передав йому деякі особисті речі Сайра, щоб Кір почувався як вдома. Сайрус, доктор yрей та інший компаньйон подорожували на північ поїздом до Чемпіона, потім індійським гідом на північ старою індійською стежкою вздовж річки Пешекі. Коли вони дісталися до кемпінгу на краю безіменного озера, Кір з подивом побачив великий білий намет, ліжка з простирадлами та асортимент власних речей.

У наступні роки Сайрус та його адвокат Сайрус Бентлі почали відвідувати цю область. Вони приходили і створювали тимчасовий базовий табір на маленькому скелястому острові в цьому озері. Під час такої подорожі вони сиділи на острові і дивилися на високий скелястий блеф і вирішили, що його слід назвати Фортецею. Пізніше вони назвали озеро на честь цього блефу, назвавши його Фортечним озером.

Наприкінці 1800 -х років Пітер Уайт, Дж. М. Лонгір та інші керівники спільноти Маркетт вирішили створити ексклюзивний клуб у горах Гурон. Вони назвали його Стрілецько -рибальським клубом у горах Гурон і сприяли членству в Детройті та Чикаго. До Сайруса Бентлі звернулися і вирішили приєднатися до нього у 1902 р. Під час численних поїздок до Фортечного озера Бентлі, який був завзятим туристом, подумав, що було б чудово побудувати стежку від острова Фортечне озеро до гірського клубу Гурон. Маккормік погодився і вирішив продовжити купівлю нерухомості. Він відправив розвідника Едвіна Макліна, який оцінив територію та подумав, що її можна придбати приблизно за 5 доларів за акр. Знаючи, що ціна землі буде підвищена, якби продавець знав про багатство пана Маккорміка, він попросив свого секретаря Ф. А. Стюерта зв’язатися із земельним агентом у Маркетті, штат Венеція. Льюїса, виступати його агентом з нерухомості. Підійшовши до власників землі, містеру Льюїсу було запропоновано тверду ціну в 10 доларів за акр. Виявилося, що земельний агент власників, Джон М. Лонгір, чув, що пан Маккормік зацікавлений у купівлі землі та не зацікавлений у спілкуванні з паном Льюїсом. Тому він підвищив ціну землі. Маккормік був змушений повідомити пана Лонґіра, що містер Льюїс був його агентом, і у вересні 1904 року Маккормік придбав 151,75 акрів за 3,16 долара за акр. Це охоплювало західний край озера Фортеця і охоплювало острів.

Протягом наступних 16 років 13 окремих покупок створили урочище на 2933 гектарах. Першою спорудженою будовою була бібліотечна каюта на острові в 1904 р. Більшість інших будівель на острові датуються 1906 або 1907 рр. Приблизно в цей час відбулося розширення на березі озера, яке було добре розвинене у 1930 -х роках.

Будинок містера Бентлі в горах Гурон був завершений у 1905 році. Того ж року була завершена стежка від грубого табору на острові Фортеця до каюти Бентлі на озері Верхнє.

Фортечне озеро стало дуже зайнятим місцем, де будуються кабіни, екіпажі, які працюють над розробкою стежок, включаючи набережні уздовж країв Фортеці та сусіднього озера Бульдог. Однією з найменш улюблених робіт було днопоглиблення каналу між озерами Фортеця та Бульдог, щоб човни могли легко проходити між ними. Коли землю купив Маккормік, на східному кінці озера Фортеця була велика боброва гребля, за якою йшли болотні струмки та інші невеликі боброві греблі, що ведуть до озера Бульдог. Екіпаж Маккорміка побудував тут 1900 -метровий канал між 1908 та 1916 роками. Вони вирили його, а потім в'їхали в стовпи і прикріпили дроти до цих стовпів. Через цей канал можна було протягнути човни вручну. Полюси і дротові кріплення залишаються в каналі і сьогодні.

Ще одним із багатьох завдань було розвиток системи стежок навколо озер та стежки Бентлі від Фортечного озера до каюти містера Бентлі на озері Верхнє.

У листопаді 1907 року Сайрус Маккормік вирішив офіційно назвати озеро Білим оленем на честь оленя -альбіноса, якого він та інші гості часто бачили.

Жовтень 1935 року був останнім візитом Сайруса на це місце. Він помер 2 червня 1936 року у віці 77 років. Право власності на поселення перейшло до сина Гордона Маккорміка, який розпочав проект реконструкції всіх будівель. Так тривало і в 40 -х роках. 1947 був останнім візитом Гордона в поселення. Він помер у 1967 році і передав заповіт Міністерству сільського господарства США.

Ця інформація взята виключно з наступних двох посилань:

Superior Heartland A Backwoods History Vol. I Книга II К. Фреда Ридгольма, видана приватно К. Фредом Ридгольмом, 221 Lakewood Lane, Marquette MI 49855, 1989.

Історія використання сім’єю Маккорміків табору на озері Білі олені, експериментальний ліс Маккормік, Барага, графства Маркетт, штат Мічиган. Надіслано: Лісова служба USDA, Національний ліс Оттави, Айронвуд, штат Мічиган, 49938. Представлено: Середньоамериканським дослідницьким центром, Університетом Лойоли, Чикаго, Іллінойс, 60611. Принциповий слідчий, Теодор Я. Караманскі.

& quotМоя подяка Тому Фоє за те, що він дав мені місце на його прекрасному веб -сайті. Він дуже добре зобразив територію урочища Маккормік. Якщо ви хочете дізнатися більше про історію цього унікального місця, я написав книгу про походження, життя та загибель від 1906 року до її закупівлі Лісовою службою США у 1968 році. Мій батько, Тед Тонкін, був керівником 38 років у таборі на озері Біле Олень, і ми всією сім’єю проводили там літо. & quot

Уривок з книги місіс Кулі, що описує життя у таборі на озері Уайт -Дір.

& quotВід початку морозу пізньої осені, після того, як рівень озера був знижений для прийняття очікуваного весняного стоку, одне місце приблизно за 200 футів від берега, недалеко від будівлі для човнів, було очищене від снігу. Ця площа вимірювала приблизно 100 квадратних метрів. Близько до середини січня настав час підрізання льоду. Коли лід накопичився товщиною 20 ", були розрізані величезні блоки розміром 20" x 18 "і 20" вагою приблизно 200 фунтів. Чоловіки ручною пилкою для льоду розрізали шматки та щипці для льоду, щоб витягнути їх з води. Їх завантажили на невеликі санки і витягли до крижаного будиночка, розташованого приблизно за 500 футів від берега в південному кінці будівлі Кухні. Якщо дозволяли умови, трактор використовувався для підйому саней на короткий, але крутий пагорб. Інакше чоловікам довелося це робити за допомогою ручної лебідки. Блок і снасть підняли шматки в крижану хату. Після того, як ці блоки були укладені серед куп тирси. У добру зиму до 300 блоків (або близько 26-30 тонн льоду) буде зберігатися для використання в льодових ящиках протягом наступного року. & Quot

Друкується тут з дозволу Кетлін Кулі. Дякую, що написала свою чудову книгу, Кетлін!


Сайрус Маккормік (1809-1884)

Ефективність сільського господарства . У перші десятиліття дев’ятнадцятого століття кількість площ, які могли обробляти сім’ї, часто залежало від того, скільки людей вони зможуть потрапити на поля. В результаті більшість фермерів, які виробляли продукцію для ринку, стикалися з постійним дефіцитом робочої сили, особливо в період збору врожаю, але це скоро зміниться. Нові машини скоротили час, необхідний для збирання зерна, приблизно вдвічі між 1800 і 1840 роками, і знову наполовину до 1880 року. Виробництво та ефективність сільського господарства стрімко зростали, що стало вирішальним для економіки Заходу.

Плуги John Deere . Незабаром залізні та сталеві плуги змінили дерев’яні. У 1837 році Джон Дір сконструював свій перший залізний плуг зі сталевою кромкою. До середини 1840 -х років він щорічно виробляв тисячу плугів, а наступне десятиліття - десять тисяч на рік. Ці нові плуги дозволили поселенцю розрізати на милю за милю стійку в іншому випадку прерію Середнього Заходу, але навіть плуги Deere не змогли подолати проблему пошуку достатньої робочої сили під час збирання врожаю. Фермери, які вирощують дрібні зерна, такі як пшениця, все ще потребували робітників для збирання врожаю серпами, косами або більшими ручними знаряддями, які називаються колисками.

Жнива Маккорміка . Сайрус Холл Маккормік народився у Вірджинії в 1809 році, його батько, Роберт, був чимось на зразок майстра. Ранні механічні жниварки з’явилися в Англії близько 1800 року, а винахідники в Європі та США продовжували досліджувати нові можливості. Роберт Маккормік поекспериментував з жаткою і передав її своєму синові Сайрусу в 1831 р. Після вдосконалення молодший Маккормік запатентував свою нову жатку в 1834 р. Хоча Сайрус Маккормік покинув сільськогосподарські машини на кілька років, прийшов, щоб змінити сільське господарство на Західному Аппалачах, вийшов на ринок у 1840 р. Між його власною майстернею у Вірджинії та деякими підрядниками у Цинциннаті, штат Огайо, у 1845 р. Маккормік виявив 150 жаток. Маккормік зрозумів, що фабрика на Середньому Заході може значно збільшити продажі , тому 1847 р. він із партнером побудував фабрику в Чикаго. У 1848 році вони виготовили там 500 механічних жаток.

Конкуренти . Важливо усвідомити, що Сайрус Маккормік був не єдиним винахідником нової жнейки. Насправді, Обед Хассі запатентував свою першу жниву за рік до Маккорміка і роками залишався його головним конкурентом. Були й інші конкуренти, що ускладнювало захист патентів McCormick. Маккормік неодноразово звертався до суду для захисту різноманітних патентів. Незважаючи на ці юридичні перешкоди, до 1850 року Маккормік випустив понад 1600 жнив і захопив 50 відсотків американського ринку. Протягом 1850 -х років, у той час як кількість жаток, які він виробив, збільшилося внаслідок постійного попиту, його частка на ринку скоротилася. До 1865 року Маккормік володів лише 5 відсотками ринку жнив. Дійсно, нові конкуренти швидше винаходили та виробляли кращі машини. Тим не менш, компанія McCormick Harvesting Machine Company продовжувала конкурувати в останній половині ХІХ століття. Коли в 1884 р. Кір помер, бізнесом керував його син Сайрус -молодший. У 1902 році McCormicks та інші великі виробники механічних жаток об’єдналися, щоб створити гігантську фірму, відому як International Harvester.

Іноземні продажі . Успіх Сайруса Маккорміка залежав від ряду факторів. Як ранній винахідник він зробив стрибок на ринку, і йому вдалося отримати ключові патенти. Хитрий Маккормік також використовував винахідливі методи маркетингу своїх жаток. На початку Маккормік відправився в сільську місцевість, щоб подивитися на роботу своїх машин під час збору врожаю. Пізніше його агенти та механіки допомагали ремонтувати жатки на полі. Маккормік розробив гарантію на свої машини, і він продав їх у кредит. Як і конкуренти, він також продавав свої жниварки на сільськогосподарських товариствах та ярмарках. У 1851 році Маккормік відвідав Європу, щоб провести випробування над своєю жаткою. Він був настільки успішним, що використав свою європейську похвалу для розголосу вдома. Незабаром його конкуренти виїхали за кордон для просування власних машин.

Спадщина Маккорміка . Значні зміни в західному сільському господарстві послідували за розвитком жатки McCormick та інших нових машин. Оскільки кількість акрів, які фермер міг зібрати, різко зросла, ферми на Заході ставали все більшими. Як і всі технологічні зміни, деякі американці постраждали від цих подій. Бідніші фермерські сім’ї часто виявляли, що вони не можуть конкурувати з заможнішими комерційними фермерами. Менша залежність від людських рук підштовхнула багатьох сільськогосподарських робітників до міських заводів нації. Екологічні наслідки врешті -решт включали ерозію ґрунтів та перетворення американських прерій на території з порівняно невеликим біорізноманіттям. До 1860 р. Такі занепокоєння ще не були очевидними для багатьох американців, і натомість нація святкувала зростання, здавалося б, ефективного масштабного землеробства.


Сайріус Холл Маккормік (1809-1884)

Дитинство Вірджинії. Сайрус Холл Маккормік народився у суворій пресвітеріанській фермерській родині в долині Шенандоа на заході Вірджинії 15 лютого 1809 р. Дідусь Сайруса переїхав до країни Рокбрідж із Пенсильванії під час американської революції (в якій він воював), і там оселився садиба. що залишалася в родині Маккорміків до ХХ століття. Батько Сайруса, Роберт, вважав себе винахідником і, серед іншого, розробив конюшинозбирач, силь для ковалів і навіть машину для читання. Сайрус, який виріс, працюючи на сімейній фермі та відвідуючи сільську школу, коли дозволяв час, напевно, зловив механічну помилку свого батька. До того часу, коли йому виповнилося двадцять два роки, він мав патент США на свою плуг на схилі. Але Кір використовував власні ідеї, коли справа доходила до проектування та побудови своєї першої косарки у 1831 році.

Вигідний ринок. Коли Маккормік (за допомогою рабів, що належали його батькові), вигнав свою невтішну нову штуку на вівсяне поле Джона Стіла для випробування, це було не перше 1820 -ті роки, коли Патрік Белл з Шотландії побудував машину для збирання врожаю цілих десять гектарів на день, у кілька разів більше, ніж людина могла б зробити вручну. Однак з їхніми невеликими фермами та достатньою дешевою робочою силою британські фермери мало цікавились механічними збиральними пристроями, такими як жатка Bell. В Америці, навпаки, ситуація була зворотною. Величезний простір ріллі та порівняно дефіцитний запас робітників закликали до впровадження засобів економії праці. Пшеницю, зокрема, потрібно було збирати в потрібний час, до того як її зернові головки занадто багато рифлювали і розливали свій дорогоцінний вантаж на землю, а оскільки пшениця кожного в певному регіоні досягла зрілості приблизно в один і той же час, фермери хто не міг знайти достатньо робочої сили у вирішальний період, може втратити весь свій урожай. Недорога машина, яка могла безпечно і швидко скоротити зерно в польових умовах, мала потенціал вийти на прибутковий ринок.

Ранні конкуренти. Після того, як перша жатка Сайруса натрапила на шість гектарів вівса Стіла, а потім пережила ще одне масштабне публічне випробування в 1832 році (після кількох механічних удосконалень), Маккормік почав збільшувати свій потенціал, щоб заробляти гроші. Він продовжував вдосконалювати своє первісне бажання протягом 1830 -х років, але інші сімейні справи поглинули його час, і він мало зробив на шляху маркетингу чи виробництва своєї машини, поки Обедія Хассі з Огайо не почав будувати та продавати свою жатку в середині десятиліття. Кожен чоловік прибув до свого бажання самостійно (Хассі запатентував свою жатку в 1833 р., За рік до того, як Маккормік отримав патент), проте жниця Хассі працювала за принципами, подібними до Маккорміків, що стало джерелом тертя та суперництва між двома чоловіками. Полеве випробування двох машин 1843 року виявилося непереконливим, але конкуренція (а також накопичений борг з іншого сімейного підприємства) спонукали Сайруса серйозно розпочати виробництво та продаж своїх машин. Використовуючи сімейний ковальський цех та допомогу свого батька та братів, Маккормік побудував і продав двадцять дев’ять косарок у 1843 році та п’ятдесят у 1844 році. фермерам пагорбів Шенандоа з їхніми невеликими кам’янистими полями та зношеними ґрунтами.

Рухається на захід. У 1844 році Маккормік продав кілька жаток фермерам у багатих землях долини Огайо, а наприкінці цього року сам поїхав на захід, щоб перевірити, чи правильно зібрані його машини. Відвідуючи величезні, нещодавно заселені прерійні фермерські угіддя Ілліоніс, Вісконсін та Міссурі, Маккормік спостерігав ситуацію, спеціально розроблену для його жнейки, і в 1847 році він разом із сім’єю переїхав до майбутнього міста Чикаго. Протягом року залізниця та телеграф дісталися до міста, а також до Чжикаго та центру судноплавства для всього Заходу. Маккормік стояв в епіцентрі цього переходу, озброєний винаходом, ідеально підходящим для збирання прерій.

Інновації. Маккормік продав 450 косарок зі свого чиказького заводу в 1848 р. І більше 1 000 до 1850 р., Але його успіх був гарантований. Його патенти закінчилися в 1848 році, відкривши поле для десятків конкурентів, деякі з яких мають дизайн, вищий за власний McCormick. Крім того, фермери вагалися витрачати більше 100 доларів на машину, про яку вони нічого не знали. МакКормік прийняв деякі удосконалення своїх суперників, такі як сидіння для наїзника та грабільника, кращу фрезу та, врешті -решт, автоматичні в'яжучі, та утримував ціни зниженими за рахунок зниження витрат на своїй фабриці. Він був агресивним і дуже суперечливим конкурентом. Але справжня інновація Маккорміка прийшла з його маркетинговими схемами. Агенти Маккорміка демонстрували його жниву на сільськогосподарських ярмарках по всьому Середньому Заході, протиставляючи машини проти машин інших компаній у змаганнях, які збирали велику кількість людей. Він написав власну рекламу, в якій висловлював достоїнства свого “ Virginia Reaper ” (часто зі свідченнями фермерів), одночасно ілюструючи, наскільки легко і вигідно було користуватися його пристроєм. Він організував систему торгових агентів, які продавали жниварки за дорученням, але також відповідали за ремонт машин та навчання фермерів їх роботі. Нарешті, він запропонував свої жатки на продаж за планом кредитної частини, що дозволило фермеру внести початковий внесок навесні, використати машину для збирання врожаю, а потім сплатити решту витрат до грудня. Завдяки стрімкому розширенню залізничної мережі та різкому зростанню цін на пшеницю, до середини 1850 -х років Маккормік продавав понад чотири тисячі косарок на рік, а до 1860 року продав загалом вісімдесят тисяч. У 1851 році жнець здобув бажану Медаль Ради на Лондонській виставці «Кришталевий палац» Маккормік використав цей сприятливий момент, щоб заснувати мережу продажів за кордоном.

Останні роки. За його власним визнанням, Маккормік жив для свого жниварного бізнесу. “ У мене є одна мета в житті, ” він сказав, “ успіх і широке використання моїх машин. Усі інші питання для мене надто незначні, щоб їх можна було розглядати. ” Маккормік не темнів, не курив і не одружувався до глибокого віку, хоча йому та його дружині все ж вдалося мати семеро дітей, один з яких, Сайрус -молодший, взяв на себе компанію. Він зробив значний внесок у Демократичну партію, служив у національному комітеті партії та кілька разів балотувався на посаду (безуспішно), один раз - на посаду віце -президента. Один з перших промислових магнатів Америки, Маккормік інвестував у залізниці, шахти та інші бізнес -починання, ставши директором у правлінні гігантської Union Pacific Railway. Будучи строгим пресвітеріаном протягом усього життя, Маккормік також пожертвував значні суми грошей церкві та Пресвітеріанській духовній семінарії Чикаго (до 1928 року називалася Маккорміцькою духовною семінарією). Незважаючи на всі ці види діяльності, компанія «МакКормікська машинозбиральна машина» (зареєстрована у 1879 р. Та об’єднана з іншими фірмами для створення Міжнародного комбайна у 1902 р.) Залишалася центральною установою його життя. Він продовжував служити президентом фірми, контролюючи вдосконалення виробництва та дизайну жниварки McCormick, аж до своєї смерті у 1884 році.


Історія підприємництва Чикаго: Брати Маккорміки та підйом Мегакорпусу

Тема братів Маккорміків та їхнього розвитку “Вірджинська жниця”, а пізніше-чиказького конгломерату “Міжнародний комбайн” викликає незліченну кількість іронії та непередбачених наслідків в американській історії. Ось лише деякі з них: південні рабовласники піднімають північні штати шляхом виробництва надлишкового зерна та створення надлишкової робочої сили до вирішальної промислової переваги та робочої сили під час громадянської війни. Багато в чому завдяки винаходу Маккорміксів, наприклад, Північ експортувала 200 мільйонів бушелів зерна до Європи під час Громадянської війни, полегшивши працю всіх хліборобів та розправивши зігнуті спини, доброзичливі вірджинці прискорюють урбанізацію та індустріалізацію нації. . Ці сили, у свою чергу, руйнують їх улюблений Джефферсонівський аграрний спосіб життя і перетворюють фермерів у химерну, зникаючу породу.

БРАТИ МАККОРМІК, БІЗНЕС -ВІЗІОНЕРИ

За життя Сайрус, Вільям та Леандр Маккормік зробили лише революцію в сільському господарстві та визначення абсолютно нової галузі. Вони поклали край століттям збирання зерна вручну - серпом, косою та колискою. Роблячи це, вони стали мільйонерами, визнаними гігантами нової галузі сільськогосподарської техніки та відомим ім’ям у всьому світі. Але чому саме брати Маккорміки задовольнили давню потребу в техніці для економії праці на фермі? Хто замінив м’язи тварин людськими м’язами? Відрізняючи McCormicks від їхніх конкурентів та конкурентів, і поставивши їх у авангард змін, було їхнє володіння мовами винахідництва, маркетингу та організації - рідкісне поєднання подарунків. Як мало хто це зробив, вони успішно вивели на ринок винахід свого батька, першу практичну механічну жатку. Для цього їм довелося впроваджувати нові та оригінальні методи продажу, реклами та розповсюдження своєї продукції. Не було кому наслідувати. Вони були б бізнесменами, яких би наслідували інші, насправді взірцем для майбутньої автомобільної промисловості.

Підприємницький геній Маккормікс виявився у багатьох взаємопов'язаних способах. Давайте назвемо її "Система Маккорміка". Їхня культура була новою діловою культурою, скоріше вираженням винахідливості Півдня, аніж більш сповіщеної винахідливості янкі, виявленої у Вільяма Дірінга та Джона Діра. Нові прийоми Маккормікс повалили традицію «застереження вимагати» та замінили довіру, підзвітність, впізнаваність бренду та доброзичливість клієнтів. Щоб розширити ринок своєї машини, брати представили кілька геніальних пристроїв. Одним з потужних стимулів була їх так звана «безкоштовна пробна версія», письмова гарантія при кожному продажу, гарантія повернення грошей у повному обсязі, якщо їхній продукт спрацював незадовільно. Відповідним стимулом став їх "план купівлі в розстрочку". У 1849 р. Вони продали фермерам свою жатку на 120 доларів на наступних умовах: 30 доларів знизили при доставці до збору врожаю, а решту 90 доларів плюс 6% відсотків до 1 грудня. (До речі, усі витрати на доставку та фрахт були за рахунок покупця .) Очевидно, що брати були готові піти на великі, безпрецедентні фінансові ризики, щоб продати свою продукцію.

Але це не була азартна гра, про яку можна було подумати. Схоже, вони врахували велику дебіторську заборгованість у своїх розрахунках ціни та прибутку. З 1849 р. До 1858 р. Прострочені та неоплачені рахунки зросли до 400 000 доларів США, потенційно катастрофічно, якби вони не принесли близько 150% прибутку на жниву9. Більш того, вони стандартизували свою велику маржу прибутку, встановивши ціну, яка була оприлюдненою, фіксованою та не підлягала обговоренню. Не повинно було бути ні торгів, ні торгів з клієнтом, ні особливих знижок. Усі платили однакову ціну.

Ще одним із нововведень McCormicks було «польове випробування», особливо ефективний елемент реклами та просування в сільській частині Америки. Брати влаштовували публічні конкурси, безкоштовні для глядачів, від конкурентів -виробників жнив. Насправді вони вкладали значні кошти в рекламу всіх форм і навіть видавали торговий журнал, розповсюджений їхньою мережею агентів, що досягло великої читацької аудиторії серед фермерів. Вони відвідували численні державні ярмарки та виставки, щоб продемонструвати «Старий надійний». Призи та нагороди, які вони завойовували як у себе вдома, так і за кордоном, допомогли зробити “McCormick” універсальною торговою маркою задовго до того, як брендинг став корпоративним захопленням. Така популярність дозволила McCormicks стягувати більше за свої машини, а також платити своїм агентам нижчі комісійні.

У перші роки McCormicks створили мережу навчених агентів, пов'язаних з ними ексклюзивними контрактами та ексклюзивними територіями. Вони замовляли, отримували, доставляли та ремонтували косарки, які виготовляли. Пізніше, у 1880 -х роках, регіональних агентів, які працювали за комісією, замінили менеджери із заробітної плати, які курирували дилерів з франчайзингом. Організація була першокласною.

Корінні жителі округу Рокбридж, штат Вірджинія, також знали, як адаптувати ідеї та винаходи інших людей до своєї комерційної вигоди. Очевидно, що їх винахід стимулював винахід більш складних сільськогосподарських машин тими, хто володіє більшою винахідливістю, ніж вони володіли. З усіма наступними технологічними удосконаленнями вони наполегливо йшли в ногу: самозбиральна жатка Аткінса, жниварка братів Марш, дротяна самозв’язувальна машина Дінгінгтона та самов’язувальна шпагат Дірінга. Вони також були винахідниками та позичальниками. Білл Гейтс міг перевтілитися у братів Маккорміків. Схожість у відповідних стратегіях та тактиках вражає.

Як зазначив біограф Сайрус Холл Маккормік Вільям Т. Хатчінсон, досить переконливо, «їхні дні як винахідника завершилися його патентом 1847 року». Після цього вони дотепно придбали патенти, патентні права та ліцензії в інших, сплачуючи роялті у разі необхідності, тоді як їхні адвокати-експерти боролися в судах у нескінченних «патентних війнах» зі своїми суперниками. Їхні роки в бізнесі були переповнені судовими спорами. Вони були безстрашні.

Найбільш натхненним рішенням Маккормікс, прийнятим у 1847 році, було переміщення центру їх діяльності на захід, з долини Шенандоа до Чикаго. Вони зрозуміли, що майбутнє жнея - у Великих рівнинах і на західному кордоні. Потрапивши туди першими, вони “зачерпнули” значну частину внутрішнього ринку. Це теж було великою авантюрою, адже Чикаго тоді було далеко від залізничного вузла, яким він став пізніше. Їх жатка випереджала залізницю до Чикаго на три роки. Фактично, вони заснували своє виробниче підприємство в Чикаго ПЕРЕД тим, як телеграф, канали та залізниці прибули до цього 17 -тисячного міста. Маккормікс зробив ставку на своє майбутнє і виграв у лотерею. Зростання їхньої компанії та зростання Чикаго перепліталися протягом решти століть і пізніше. Брати Маккорміки стали першими великими промисловцями Чикаго, бізнесменами, які володіли його найбільшою фабрикою.

Перехід McCormicks на "прерійний ринок" завершив епоху децентралізованого субпродукту, який в тривожному ступені характеризувався неадекватним наглядом, ненадійністю та поганим контролем якості в таких місцях, як Брокпорт, Нью-Йорк та Цинциннаті. З централізацією виробництва в Чикаго почався постійний нагляд, удосконалення виробничих процесів та економія на масштабі. Оскільки інновації McCormicks у сфері маркетингу та продажів вирішили багато найскладніших проблем масового розповсюдження жатки, а також способів проникнення на національний ринок фермерів, їхня перша чиказька фабрика мала змогу атакувати проблему виробництва масштаб. Коли масове виробництво інтегрувалося з масовим розповсюдженням, компанія megacorp дебютувала у секторі сільськогосподарської техніки. І дорога до International Harvester була спочатку висвітлена.

ПЕРША ФАБРИКА ЧИКАГО МакКОРМІКА, 1848 - 1871

Between 1848 and 1871 the McCormick brothers regularly enlarged and improved their Chicago plant, which was designed with ready access to water and rail transportation. Comprised of both wood-working and iron-working departments, as well as a paint shop, and with docks on the Chicago River for receiving raw materials and shipping finished products, it was built to control costs. At first, some parts of the 1,200 pound reaper were manufactured elsewhere: sickles in Massachusetts guard fingers in New Jersey iron castings on the other side of Chicago. Raw materials arrived from all over the country and the world white ash lumber from Michigan pig iron from Pittsburgh and Scotland steel from England. But the story of the next half-century was one of integration, of lowering costs by eliminating more and more outside suppliers and middlemen. By 1870, the McCormicks were producing 10,000 machines annually at the Chicago factory.

CONTINGENCY IN AMERICAN BUSINESS HISTORY
1871 MARKED AN IMPORTANT TURNING POINT IN THE HISTORY OF THE McCORMICK COMPANY.

The Great Chicago Fire of that year proved both a terrible misfortune, as the original factory complex burned to the ground with great financial loss, and a perverse twist of good luck. Contingency is a powerful force in the life of an institution. Without “The Fire,” one can readily imagine a different fate for the McCormick brothers, Cyrus and Leander, brother William having died in 1865. Led by Leander, they relocated and rebuilt in a visionary fashion, with allowances made for prodigious future growth, the McCormicks obtained additional advantages over their competitors through the most up-to-date equipment, greater economies of scale, and wholesale efficiencies.

Thereafter, at the vast 230-acre “McCormick City,” which employed 1,400 workers in 1884 and whose main factory building was ten times the size of its predecessor, the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company, which replaced the old partnership, C.H. & L.J. McCormick, in 1879, operated furnaces and foundries, produced its own iron, ran sawmills and the largest twine mill in the world, and even manufactured its own bolts and nuts. The company also purchased mines and forests to assure steady supplies for its furnaces and sawmills. In time, virtually every part of the McCormick harvesting machines would be made at this complex.12 “McCormick City” anticipated Henry Ford’s industrial colossus at the River Rouge by twenty-five years. What was needed to transform “McCormick City” into the River Rouge was another technological breakthrough, the moving assembly line.

“McCormick City” liberated supply. Production doubled between 1870 and 1880. Between 1880 and 1884, when Cyrus McCormick died and his son Cyrus, Jr. took over management of the company, output nearly trebled. By 1891, annual output approached four times its 1880 figure.

THE CREATION OF INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER

America’s very first outbreak of “merger mania” occurred between 1898 and 1902. Over that span 212 major consolidations took place in American industry. One of those mergers involved the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company. In 1902, it combined with its chief competitor, William Deering & Co. and three smaller rivals, to create the megacorp, International Harvester. With assets of $110 million, and control of 85% of U. S. production of harvesting machines, IH was “a virtual monopoly.” By 1909, it was the fourth largest corporation in America, as well as the largest farm equipment company in the world. The corporate behemoth rested securely on foundations put firmly in place by the McCormick brothers. In recognition of their central role in the creation of International Harvester, the remaining McCormick heirs received 43% of the new company’s stock. And Cyrus, Jr., was chosen its first President.

According to Alfred Chandler, the dean of business historians, the initiative for the merger came from U. S. Steel and the Morgan bankers who dominated that corporate giant. Elbert Gary, head of U. S. Steel, feared that both the McCormick and Deering firms intended to build their own steel rolling mills, depriving him thereby of lucrative contracts and valuable customers. Gary’s efforts coincided with a readiness on the parts
of William Deering and Cyrus McCormick, Jr. to halt, once and for all, the fierce, cutthroat competition that troubled their industry.

Today, the once great conglomerate, International Harvester, is no longer extant—having been undermined by the competitors, such as John Deere, in the early 1980s. By the end of it’s life, the company produced a variety of products but focused primarily on farming equipment, small and heavy-duty trucks, and construction equipment, a massive organization which worked well in good times, but prevented the company from innovating during times of economic strain. International Harvester was split up into three separate companies, Navistar, Case IH (Fiat), McCormick Tractors, and Cub Cadet. Despite the break-up, the legacy of the McCormicks and of International Harvester lives on in the immense philanthropic gifts, most of which can be seen on the walls of the great Chicago and Virginia institutions, as well as countless McCormick-International Harvester aficionados across the country, who still consider McCormick the first name in farming.

1Robert Hall McCormick, had nine slaves. On the eve of the Civil War Cyrus owned “three or four” slaves, property which he hired out to his Walnut Grove neighbors while he lived in Chicago. See William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Seedtime, 1809 – 1856 (New York, 1930), 17 William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Harvest, 1856 – 1884 (New York, 1935), 38. Hereafter, cited as Vol. I and Vol. II.
2Herbert N. Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: His Life and Work (Chicago, 1909), 192.
3AlLeander made “long annual visits” to the Shenandoah Valley of his youth and Cyrus was elected in 1880 as the first president of the Virginia Society of Chicago. Hutchinson, Vol. II, 37 (fn. 1).
6Chapter Two, “A Legacy in the Heartland,” in Barbara Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy: The Agony of International Harvester Company (New York, 1985), 15 – 34, and Chapter Three, “Cyrus McCormick,” in Harold C. Livesay, American Made: Men Who Shaped the American Economy (Boston, 1979), shed abundant light on McCormick’s business innovations. Alfred D. Chandler’s The Visible Hand: The Managerial Revolution in American Business (Cambridge, MA., 1977), 305 – 7, 402 – 3, 406 – 11, details McCormick’s role in the “managerial revolution” that swept American industry in the late nineteenth century.
7Richard S. Tedlow, Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built (New York, 2001), 1. McCormick did qualify for inclusion in Daniel Gross, Forbes Greatest Business Stories of All Time (New York, 1966). See “Cyrus McCormick’s Reaper and the Industrialization of Farming,” 22 – 38.
8Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick, 80.
7
9Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 23 Hutchinson, Vol. I, 249.
10James Wallace and Jim Erickson, Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire (New York, 1992), 117, 135, 269, 342, 352, 381, 390.
11Hutchinson, Vol. II, 360. 12Casson is especially informative about the development of “McCormick City.” 13Chandler, The Visible Hand, 306 – 7. 14Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 4, 41 – 2 Chandler, The Visible Hand, 408 – 9.


Death of Cyrus McCormick

Inventor and businessman Cyrus McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in Chicago, Illinois.

Cyrus Hall McCormick was born on February 15, 1809, in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. He was the oldest of eight children born to inventor Robert McCormick, Jr. Around the same time Cyrus was born, his father began working on a design for a mechanical reaper. He spent 28 years working on the design but never managed to make it right. So Cyrus went on to take up the project himself.

McCormick worked with Jo Anderson on the design. While some machines were designed to be pushed by horses, McCormick worked on a machine that would be pulled by horses and cut the grain on one side of the team. In 1831, McCormick held one of the first demonstrations of his new machine. He said he had developed the finalized version in 18 months. McCormick was then granted the patent for his reaper on June 21, 1834.

US #891 - Класична обкладинка першого дня.

During this time, McCormick and his family also had a blacksmith and metal smelting business, which nearly went bankrupt during the Panic of 1837. McCormick began holding more demonstrations of his machine, but most local farmers thought it was unreliable. McCormick continued to improve on his original design and eventually began to sell more – seven in 1842, then 29 in 1843, and 50 in 1844. The following year, he got another patent for the improvements made to the reaper.

US #891 – Rubber Stamp Cachet First Day Cover.

Up until this point, the machines were all built in the family farm shop. But McCormick soon realized that he was receiving orders for reapers from out west, where the farms were larger and flatter. McCormick then contracted to have his machines mass-produced at a factory in New York. In 1847, he and his brother opened their own factory in Chicago. The business prospered after that, aided by railroads that could help deliver the machines and replacement parts much quicker than ever before.

Item #81883 – Commemorative cover marking McCormick’s 179th birthday.

In 1851, McCormick took his reaper to the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London. His reaper successfully harvested a field while the Hussey machine (Obed Hussey who had a competing patent claim) failed. McCormick then won a gold medal and was admitted to the Legion of Honor, but also found out he had lost a court challenge of Hussey’s patent. By 1856, McCormick’s factory was producing over 4,000 reapers per year. Then in 1871, the factory burned down during the Great Chicago Fire, but he rebuilt it and reopened in 1873.

US #982 was issued for the 200th anniversary of Washington and Lee University.

McCormick was a devout Presbyterian all his life and committed much of his time and money to helping others. He helped create the Theological Seminary of the Northwest (later named the McCormick Theological Seminary) and donated $10,000 to help start the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). McCormick and his wife also donated money to Tusculum College and helped create churches and Sunday Schools in the South after the Civil War. During the last 20 years of his life, McCormick was a benefactor and served on the board of trustees for Washington and Lee University.

After suffering a stroke in 1880, McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in his home in Chicago. He received many honors during and after his life – the French named him an Officer of the Legion of Honor and he was elected to the French Academy of Sciences for “having done more for the cause of agriculture than any other living man.” Many credit McCormick’s reaper with reducing human labor on farms, increasing productivity, and being a driving force in the industrialization of agriculture in dozens of nations.


McCormick County History

Hunters, traders and drovers coming into the area that is now McCormick County in the early 1700s discovered an unspoiled, enchanting, wilderness paradise. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

The hills were forested with short-leaf pines and oaks, interspersed with cedars, persimmons, cherries, and locusts. Along the streams grew walnuts, cottonwoods, birches, hickories, and maples. Chestnuts, oaks, and poplars along the streams often grew to exceed seventy feet or more in height. The crystal-clear streams teemed with catfish, perch, bass, bream, and shad. Beavers, raccoons, otters, and muskrats trailed their banks. The soil was deemed ordinary when canes grew no higher than a man’s head but fertile when the canes attained a height of twenty or thirty feet. The land was the Native American hunter’s bonanza. It thronged with turkey, ducks, quail, geese, eagles, hawks, owls, songbirds, and wild animals – rabbits, squirrels, opossums, foxes, bobcats, wolves, and cougars. Buffalo, deer, and black bear abounded. The shaggy buffalo would later lend its name to locales like Buffalo Creek, Little Buffalo Creek, and Buffalo Baptist Church in the county. A hunter from Ninety-Six reported counting more than a hundred buffaloes grazing on a single acre near Long Cane Creek. Herds of deer numbering sixty and seventy roamed the natural habitat. A Cherokee hunter often killed two hundred deer in a year. In a good year tribesmen sold more than two hundred thousand deerskins to traders from Charles Town. In a single autumn, a hunter could kill enough black bear to salt down three thousand pounds of meat. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

John Stevens maintained cow-pens near the crossing of the Cherokee Path, over Stevens Creek in 1715. The Cherokees called the Cherokee Path, “Suwali-Nana”. Stevens’ cow-pens lended the name for the creek. Likewise, cow-pens located on Cuffeytown Creek led to the creation of a trading post, probably called “Cuffey Town”, that was situated on the east side of the stream just above the bridge on U. S. Route 378, near Longmires, presently the Hollingsworth home. In 1756, George Bussey took up a 900-acre tract of land on Horn’s Creek below Stevens Creek. In the same year John Scott, formerly of Cuffeytown Creek, moved to Stevens Creek, where five years later he was made a justice of the peace. The Stevens Creek settlement was a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek encompassing lower present-day McCormick County.

The 1747 treaty set the new Indian boundary at Long Cane Creek. It clearly stipulated that there would be no settling north of the boundary. The immediate effect of the treaty was to open land for settling along the Indian path.

Scots-Irish Arrive in the Long Canes

After General Edward Braddock’s defeat in 1755 during the French and Indian War, the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania were exposed to great danger from the French at Fort Duquesne on the Ohio River, and their Indians allies. Bands of warring Indians ravaged the frontiers populated mostly by Scots-Irish. Settlers evacuated the countryside. To escape the atrocities, five Scots-Irish families made their way down the Great Wagon Road from Virginia to the Waxhaws. The Calhouns – four brothers James, Ezekiel, William and Patrick, their sister Mary, widow of John Noble, and their mother Catherine. At the Waxhaws, they were induced by a band of hunters to visit the Long Canes in the Ninety-Six District. The hunters gave a glowing description of the Long Canes. The Calhouns arrived in the Long Canes (present-day McCormick County) in February 1756. They settled at a site on the east side of Long Cane Creek, where they built a palisade fort called Fort Long Canes. The site was less than a mile from present-day Long Cane A.R.P. Church, and two miles west of Troy. Before the end of the year the Calhouns crossed Long Cane Creek and relocated a few miles to the north to the Flatwoods on Little River (near present-day Mt. Carmel). The Flatwoods was located in Cherokee hunting lands. Their nearest neighbors were Robert Gouedy, a Scots-Irish Indian trader at Ninety-Six, and Andrew Williamson, a Scot cattle drover on Hard Labor Creek. The Calhouns assured the provincial government that they had secured permission of the Cherokees to settle there. How true it was cannot be ascertained. However, according the 1747 treaty the land was not legally open for settlement.

The Calhouns quickly petitioned for land grants and received hundreds of acres in the Flatwoods on Little River. Patrick Calhoun secured a deputation as land surveyor. Surveying these tracts began the near monopoly of land surveying that he held for seven years. They cleared land, planted crops and accumulated poultry, cattle, hogs, horses, and mules. These five pioneer families opened the way for development of the Long Canes. From the beginning the Calhouns were people of substance. Other Scots-Irish Presbyterian settlers followed the Calhouns down the Great Wagon Road from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Many of them were relatives and former neighbors of the Calhouns. Most, like the Calhouns, had originally settled in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, and had moved on into Virginia when settling became crowded. By 1759 the number of families had increased to twenty or thirty. Among those who located in Long Canes early were the Arthur Patton family, and the families Alexander, Anderson, Houston, Norris, and Pickens. “Squire” Patrick Calhoun, the family patriarch, was appointed a justice of the peace and became a prosperous farmer and the undisputed leader of the Calhoun Settlement in the Long Canes. In 1769, Calhoun was seated, albeit not without great effort, as a representative for Prince William Parish as the region’s first representative in the Royal Assembly in Charles Town. In 1775, he was elected from Ninety-Six District to the First Provincial Congress. William Calhoun was also commissioned a justice of the peace. He built a store on his place and carried on a lively trade with his white neighbors and with Cherokee Indians. The Indians brought deerskins, bear and beaver hides, ginseng, and other herbs, which they traded for guns and powder, farm tools and implements, household items, cloth and ribbons.

The Huguenots

The Huguenots were French Calvinists or French Reformed Protestants. Like the Scottish Presbyterians, they were followers of John Calvin, French religious reformer. The New Bordeaux colony was settled primarily by two separate groups: the first in 1764 under the leadership of Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, the second by fate in 1768. Early in the second half of the eighteenth century, Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, condemned to death by the French government seven years earlier for his Calvinist preaching, organized the migration for the New Bordeaux colony from his London base. British King George III’s interest in financing the Huguenot settlement was for bringing about quick settlement of the South Carolina back country following the Cherokee War of 1760. His Commissioners designated a location in the thinly settled back country, the strategy being to create a buffer to protect the Charleston tidewater area against Indian uprisings.

The sailing vessel slid out of the harbor, and headed northward toward the English Channel and Plymouth, England, on August 9, 1763. The Friendship dropped anchor in Charles Town, South Carolina on the 12th of April 1764. The town of New Bordeaux was planned and built in the design typical of a French village on Little River. Log homes were built on half-acre lots in neat rows along narrow streets. Once situated, the Huguenots immediately adopted a local governmental council consisting of five members – the justice of peace, the minister, and the three officers of the village militia. North of the village were the family, four-acre vineyard lots stretching along gentle slopes toward the river. On these mini-farms the Huguenots developed olive groves and grape vineyards. On the same lots they cultivated garden crops such as maize (Indian corn), potatoes, beans, and cabbage.

Four years later, contrary winds caused another group of colonists to join the already established settlement at New Bordeaux. Jean Louis Dumesnil de St. Pierre, a French Huguenot refugee living in London, conceived a plan to establish a colony in North America to cultivate a wine and silk industry on a commercial scale. He petitioned King George III for land to settle upon on. The British monarch approved the scheme and promised St. Pierre a land grant of 40,000 acres on Cape Sable Island near Halifax in Nova Scotia. After more than three years of preparation and anticipation, St. Pierre and his French and German protestant colonists boarded the St. Peter in London harbor for a perilous voyage bound for Cape Sable Island in Nova Scotia. They departed on September 26, 1767. When not long at sea, the St. Peter began to encounter choppy waters. Increasingly brisk winds began to lash the vessel in this record-breaking early winter season. As the weeks passed into months, gale after gale brought the fury of rain and hail and bitter-cold, winter winds. Ten of the colonists who died of scurvy in-route were forever entombed in frigid watery graves. By the first day of January 1768, the St. Peter was situated, “at latitude 41° north,” according to St. Pierre’s journal, which described the ship as “being very leaky and the Colonists reduced to three pounds of bread for nine days and very sick of the scurvy, they did oblige (him) to bear and put into the harbour of Charles Town.” The helmsman steered the brigantine carrying the colonists toward Charles Town, South Carolina. Better weather prevailed. Nearly six weeks later, the St. Peter limped into the seaport on February 10, 1768. In Charles Town, Lord Charles Montagu encouraged St. Pierre to settle his Protestant colonists in the South Carolina back country with the French Huguenots at New Bordeaux. Huguenot Parkway at Sheridan.

The German Palatines

Johann Heinrich Christian, Sieur de Stumpel was a German of high position. For several months he enlisted Germans who turned over everything of value to de Stumpel’s agent – homes, land, and personal property. A good portion of the colonists were from the area called the German Palatinate – the entire group has usually been referred to as “Palatines.” The riverboats arrived. De Stumpel’s plan was set into motion. The boats slid along the Rhine River picking up German emigrants who had assembled at numerous points. The voyagers were conveyed down the Rhine to the seaport of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. At Rotterdam the excited Germans boarded ships. The ships set sail upon the open sea. There was great jubilation among the passengers as they lost sight of land. They expected to touch port briefly in England where Sieur de Stumpel would be waiting to pay for passage and to make the final arrangements for their settlement in Nova Scotia, and then to put to sea for the journey to the Americas. Finally, after a year of soulful deliberation, apprehension, preparation, and severance from the land of their birth, these bold-spirited German colonists were on the way – Auf dem Weg zum Schlaraffenland! (On the way to the “wonderland!”) So they thought! When the ships docked in London in late August everything went out of whack. Sieur de Stumpel was nowhere to be found, and there was no sign of any agent who might be working for him. The shipmasters were enraged. They demanded passage money. The refugees had none. The Germans were mercilessly thrown off the ships, and their baggage was confiscated. They had no food, no money, no clothes, and no way of communicating with the English-speaking people gawking at them. And they had no leader in their group. They were totally destitute! Finally, leaving the wharf, the bedraggled refugees struggled past the warehouses and into a road that led them to Whitechapel Fields where they sat down along the common. That night a cold rain drenched them. For two days they had no food. Their luck changed a little when an English baker saw them and brought them loaves of bread. After several days without food, except for the loaves, word of their destitution reached the Reverend Gustav Anthon Wachsel, pastor of the new German Lutheran church in London called St. George’s. The church had been built by the pastor’s uncle, a rich German named Beckmann, for the many Germans working in sugar refineries of the neighborhood. The pastor caused the state of their wretched plight to be published in a London newspaper, and immediately went to the aid of the refugees. His parish quickly mobilized and began relief work. The military raised tents to reduce their exposure to the weather. By this time there had already been deaths among the emigrants. As a result of the newspaper coverage, Lord Halifax directed an appeal to the King to intervene and to settle the German Palatines in America. Sieur de Stumpel never showed up. Nor did his agent. After several weeks, the refugees were told that they would be settled in South Carolina. London’s Gentlemen’s Magazine for Tuesday, September 13, 1764, wrote, “In compliance with a petition for that purpose, his Majesty has been graciously pleased to order, that the Palatines now so liberally provided for shall be sent to, and established in Carolina, for which purpose 150 stand of arms have been already delivered out for their use and contracts were made for their immediate transportation.”

Six weeks later vessels with German refugees aboard lifted anchor, and set sail from London, bound for Charles Town, South Carolina. Ihre Reise war wiederum im Fortschritt! (Their journey was under way once again.) The Dragon, commanded by Francis Hammot dropped anchor on the night of December 13, 1764. After nine weeks at sea the voyage was over.

As instructed, Patrick Calhoun built the large community house near Hard Labor Creek. It served as a “center” until the settlers could get settled on their individual tracts of land. In February 1765, the rest of the German colonists arrived in Charles Town aboard Captain Lonley’s Planter’s Adventure. The Lieutenant Governor intended to settle the Germans very near the French Huguenots of New Bordeaux, and the Scots-Irish of the Long Canes. But, upon learning of the still present threat of Indian raids, the German Palatines chose to settle several miles southeasterly. A township containing some 25,000 acres was laid out, and named Londonborough in honor of their London benefactors. The German colonists selected lands in the vicinity of Hard Labor Creek, Cuffeytown Creek, Horsepen Creek, Sleepy Creek, Rocky Creek, Mountain Creek, and Turkey Creek.

Афроамериканці entered the county early. About 1755, John Scott, a Scots-Irish trader with at least five African slaves, took up a tract of land. His son Samuel Scott established a ferry on Savannah River near the present-day town of Clarks Hill. Other settlers, including George Bussey, brought slaves with them, and located in that same valley that came to be known as Stevens Creek settlement – a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek.

At about the same time, John Chevis, a free black carpenter from Virginia, with a wife, nine children, and a foundling infant, was granted a tract of land on Little River, five miles above its junction with Long Cane Creek. It appears that Chevis had initially come into the Stevens Creek settlement.

By the beginning of the American Revolution there were African slaves in Stevens Creek, the Long Canes and New Bordeaux settlements, and other areas of present day McCormick County. In 1790, one fourth of the white families owned slaves.

The Long Cane Indian Massacre

February 1, 1760, was a cold, winter day in the Calhoun settlement at Long Canes in present-day McCormick County. During the morning, the settlers received the alarm of an impending attack planned by Indian warriors from the Lower Towns and the Middle Towns of the Cherokee Nation. Risking her life, Cateechee, a Cherokee maiden, rode some seventy miles on horseback from her Keowee home in the Lower Towns to warn settlers. The daring dash by Cateechee probably saved the Long Canes settlement from total annihilation.

The settlers of Long Canes hastily began preparations to flee some sixty miles south to Tobler’s Fort at Beech Island in New Windsor Township, just across the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia. Within hours of the warning a first group of over a hundred persons left the Long Canes and would reach Tobler’s Fort unmolested. Shortly thereafter the rest of the settlers moved out in a wagon train of about 150 persons. Travel was hampered due to the ground being soggy wet from recent rainy weather. After traveling a few miles, they reached Long Cane Creek where they experienced great difficulty in crossing the creek and climbing the hill on the east side. By that time, it was late and the decision was made to make camp for the night.

Meanwhile, a Cherokee war party of about a hundred Indian braves, reportedly led by Chief Big Sawny and Chief Sunaratehee, arrived at the Long Canes settlement and found it abandoned. They pursued the trail of the settlers for a while and decided to cease pursuit. At the moment, they were about to turn around, they faintly heard shouts of the fleeing settlers as they probably were making the creek crossing. The war party quickly resumed pursuit, crossed the creek at another site and went into hiding. When at their most defenseless moment, the Indians attacked. The campsite was at once a scene of total pandemonium. In the wild confusion only a few of the fifty-five to sixty fighting men could lay hand on their guns. Women and children scrambled for any available cover and became separated. Casualties among the settlers mounted very quickly. The men were able to hold off the attacking Indians for no more than a half-hour. Realizing the futility of further resistance, the surviving settlers, aided by then night, assembled as best they could and fled on horses, leaving behind the wagons containing all their earthly possessions. In the short half-hour, the Long Canes settlers suffered fifty-six killed and a number taken captive. The Cherokee raiding party sustained twenty-one killed and a number wounded. Among the killed was Chief Sunaratehee. 2 mi. west of Troy, Sec. Rd. 36, Rd. 341.

The Battle of Long Canes was fought by Patriot militia against British and Loyalist forces on the east side of the creek December 12, 1780 during the Revolutionary War. 2 mi. west of Troy on Sec. Rd. 36.

Відень, the first commercial center in present-day McCormick County, is now a ghost town under the waters of Lake Thurmond. Located five miles southeast of present-day Mt. Carmel, Vienna was one of three thriving sister cities that developed on Savannah River in the late 1700s. Opposite on the Georgia side in the fork between Savannah and Broad rivers was Petersburg, and on the south side of Broad River and Savannah fork was Lisbon, both in then Wilkes County. The location of the three towns where two rivers met was a great advantage in water transportation. Yet the trade centers needed land transportation for bringing in the products of plantations, especially tobacco and cotton to be shipped and for travel. The towns were made accessible for wheeled conveyances, and became the location where land travel from western South Carolina and from the north and east of upper Georgia crossed. An integrated stage line from Milledgeville, Georgia to Washington, D. C., ran through Petersburg and Vienna as did a United States mail route. Flat boats called Petersburg Boats carried loads of tobacco, cotton, and flour down river to Augusta. Two ferries provided constant service across the River. Westward migration brought a drastic decline in the prosperity of Vienna and her sister cities Petersburg and Lisbon by the early 1820s. The town government of the dying town was abandoned in 1831. 5 mi. southwest of Mt Carmel, at end of Sec. Rd. 91, under water.

John de la Howe, (1710–1797) a French physician, came to South Carolina ca. 1764 and settled in the New Bordeaux French Huguenot community. His will left most of his estate, including Lethe Plantation, to the Agricultural Society of South Carolina to establish a home and school for underprivileged children. The Lethe Agricultural Seminary was founded here after de la Howe’s death in 1797.

Initially restricted to twenty-four boys and girls from what was then Abbeville County, with preference given to orphans, the school emphasized manual training, or instruction in operating a self-sufficient farm. In 1918, the school was turned over the State of South Carolina, opened to children from every county in the state, and renamed John de la Howe School. It is now a group child care agency. On Route 81, 2 mi. southwest of Route 28.

The quest for gold occupies a unique chapter in the annals of American history. It occupies a special place in the history of the Town of McCormick. The zealous quest for the precious metal influenced two men to the extent that it induced the spawning of the settlement and then town that became McCormick. In spite of their mutual interest the two men probably never met. The first was William Burkhalter Dorn’s unrelenting search for and discovery of gold. Dorn’s discovery of the mother lode at Peak Hill in 1852 insured the Dorn Mine a top spot in nineteenth century gold mining in South Carolina. Dorn made extensive investments in real property in the area and was an outstanding philanthropist. As a result of Dorn’s Mine a small settlement called Dorn’s Gold Mines sprang up around the mines. A post office by that name was established in 1857. Cyrus Hall McCormick’s investment in and ultimate purchase of the Dorn Mine from Billy Dorn, and his influence in the acquisition of a railroad terminal at the site clinched the permanence of the Town of McCormick. McCormick’s interest in securing a railroad connection to the Augusta and Greenwood Railroad was an attempt to boost the success of his gold and manganese mines.

Interest in the Dorn Mine was greatly increased because of the participation of the great nineteenth century industrialist Cyrus McCormick. The man who single-handedly changed the face of American agriculture would not experience similar success through his investment in the Dorn Mine, but he will be remembered for adding an engaging chapter to the saga of the mines, and for ensuring the future of the Town of McCormick. Cyrus Hall McCormick, born February 15, 1809, on the family farm Walnut Grove, in Rockbridge County, Virginia, was of Scots-Irish ancestry. At the age of twenty-two, McCormick devised the invention which would change his life and dramatically increase the efficiency of the American farmer. In 1831, and in only six weeks to develop the world’s first successful reaping machine. In all the centuries prior to 1831, there had been invented but two new agricultural implements for harvesting: the scythe (sixteenth century) and the cradle (eighteenth century). From that beginning in 1831, he rose to national prominence. Envisioning Chicago as the future railroad hub and gateway to the expanding West, he chose the Windy City as the site of his factory in 1847. Within two years, he repaid his creditors, and McCormick and Company (later known as International Harvester) was a sensational success.


Історія

The roots of International Harvester can be traced back to the 1830s, when Cyrus Hall McCormick, an inventor from Virginia, finalized his version of a horse-drawn reaper. The reaper was demonstrated in tests in 1831 and was patented by Cyrus in 1834. Together with his brother, McCormick moved to Chicago in 1847 and started the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company. The McCormick reaper sold well, partially as a result of savvy and innovative business practices. Their products came onto the market just as the development of railroads offered wide distribution to distant market areas. He developed marketing and sales techniques, developing a vast network of trained salesmen able to demonstrate operation of the machines in the field.

McCormick died in Chicago, with his company passing on to his son, Cyrus McCormick, Jr. In 1902, the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company and Deering Harvester Company, along with three smaller agricultural equipment firms (Milwaukee Plano and Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner (manufacturers of Champion brand)) merged together to create the International Harvester Company (IHC).

Файл McCormick-Deering tractors were renamed to just Маккормік, which continued in Europe. In the USA, the tractors were later renamed International.

International Harvester sold off the Ag division in 1985 and later renamed the company. The Agricultural devision being bought by Tenneco, parent to J.I.Case, thus combining them to form Case IH tractor division and Case CE division for construction plant.

Case IH then decided to merge with Fiat's New Holland subsidiary to form CNH. This lead to the competition authorities in several countries ruling that for the merger to proceed they had to sell some production capacity in certain markets. The result was the Versatile factories in in Canada building high horse power machines were sold as the Steiger brand was retained. And in Europe the former International Harvester factory at Doncaster was sold along with some of the Case IH models built there and re branded as McCormick Tractors International Ltd owned by ARGO SpA of Italy, parent company of Landini.


Business Success

McCormick produced more of the machines, and at first, he only sold them to local farmers. But as word of the machine's amazing functionality spread, he began selling more. He ultimately started a factory in Chicago. The McCormick Reaper revolutionized agriculture, making it possible to harvest large areas of grain much faster than could have been done by men wielding scythes.

Because farmers could harvest more, they could plant more. So McCormick's invention of the reaper made the possibility of food shortages, or even famine, less likely.

It was said that before McCormick's machinery changed farming forever, families would have to struggle to cut enough grain during the fall to last them until the next harvest. One farmer, highly skilled at swinging at scythe, might only be able to harvest two acres of grain in a day.

With a reaper, one man with a horse could harvest large fields in a day. It was thus possible to have much larger farms, with hundreds or even thousands of acres.

The earliest horse-drawn reapers made by McCormick cut the grain, which fell onto a platform so it could be raked up by a man walking alongside the machine. Later models consistently added practical features, and McCormick's farm machinery business grew steadily. By the end of the 19th century, McCormick reapers did not just cut wheat, they could also thresh it and put it into sacks, ready for storage or shipment.

At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, McCormick exhibited his latest model. The American machine was the source of much curiosity. McCormick's reaper, during a competition held at an English farm in July 1851, outperformed a British-made reaper. When the McCormick reaper was returned to the Crystal Palace, the site of the Great Exhibition, word had spread. In the crowds attending the exhibition, the machine from America became a must-see attraction.

In the 1850s McCormick's business grew as Chicago became the center of the railroads in the Midwest, and his machinery could be shipped to all parts of the country. The spread of the reapers meant that American grain production also increased.

It has been noted that McCormick's farming machines may have had an impact on the Civil War, as they were more common in the North. And that meant farmhands going off to war had less impact on grain production. In the South, where hand tools were more common, the loss of farm hands to the military had much more impact.

In the years following the Civil War the company founded by McCormick continued to grow. When workers at McCormick's factory struck in 1886, events surrounding the strike led to the Haymarket Riot, a watershed event in American labor history.

List of site sources >>>


Подивіться відео: 10 Child Celebs Who Aged Badly! (Листопад 2021).